This may belong in the Guitar/Bass/Amps section, but I thought some of you may appreciate the DIY process.
I'm in the middle of building a 5E3-circuit guitar amp head. I should be able to finish by the end of next week with the limited free time that I have to solder.
I initially made a quick layout of the components in Autocad, based on a template that I used for a Plexi amp build. I had some leftover parts from that build, so I convinced myself that I had to use them up.
I hand drilled and punched a Hammond aluminum chassis. It's not a pristine job and the chassis is kind of roughed up, but the amp's just for my own use.
I'm in the middle of routing wires from the turret board to the tube sockets. I'll finish trimming the wires down, and will solder everything in later on in the week. I'm basically building it as if it were a Marshall (isolated jacks, heaters along chassis, Marshall wire colors that make sense to me). More deviations from the traditional Fender build are metal film resistors, PowerCon power connector, 120VAC pilot light, switchable NFB, no standby, and some other minor stuff. I'm not too concerned about it not sounding dead on with a typical 5E3, just want to have fun and pull out my hair at the same time.
Thanks guys. I did some more work last night, and am pretty much ready to bite the bullet to get it all trimmed and connected. I am hoping I don't screw something up. I'm looking to hearing it through some mics, so I'll post a followup clip whether it turns out good or gnarly.
Just an update to follow up. I finished wiring up the amp last night. It came together a lot quicker than I expected.
I couldn’t run it through a cab at night, so I used a Suhr Reactive Load with some cabinet impulse responses I made to test it out.
Here’s a quick four measures of open chords. First is through an IR of my 1x12 cab with a SM57 on Weber Ceramic Blue Dog, then a SM57 on an Eminence GA10-SC64 in a 1x10, and finally a M201TG on a Jensen C10Q. The guitar was a dirt cheap Monoprice guitar that I put P90s in.