Got the sticker folks straight I think. I'm not sure what's going to happen. They kept trying to resize my artwork for some reason. i'm not sure the results will match the proofs, so I'll try to come up with plan B just in case.
I have a high quality laserjet at work that I might try with clear transfers and see how it holds up.
So I got the stickers, but I'm not sure I'm happy with them. They seem to be about 10% smaller than I designed which feels a little crowded. I put one on an old front panel to check out, and it looks good from a visual design standpoint, but feels too tight from an industrial design standpoint.
I'm also undecided whether the front panels should be white, or raw aluminum.
I ordered some clear sticker sheets to try with my laserjet and see if I can do any better. Meanwhile I have one board stuffed that I'll need to test before I stuff more, to make sure the PCBs are OK.
The sticker you posted above looks fine to me. I don't see an issue.
It's more of an issue of size. It was supposed to be 8.25"x 1.25" and it's more like 7.75"x 1" so everything is much tighter. The switch bodies literally smash against each other and there is very little room left for the pot. Everything will "fit" but it's not what I had intended.
I did print some DIY stickers that ended up a lot nicer than I had expected, but the sticker material was supposed to be clear and it's more of a marginally opaque white.. It also didn't bond as well when placed on the panels as the professional stickers did.
I placed one on brushed aluminum and one on white gloss and I think the white looks better, but ultimately might flake since it's not a baked finish.
I also tried using clear paint over the DIY stickers to see what would happen and if it would make them impervious to wear, but I haven't checked it out today to see how it turned out.
All-in-all I think I'll go forward with the professional stickers as they won't need to be coated over, but it's going to be a little harder to make the panels.
Finally got the rest of my parts. Needed to spend some time with the family this weekend, so I didn't get a whole lot done. I did finish populating the front panels though. I'll need to wire up the switches and pots and see what the best approach to doing that quickly is.
So far it's about 4 hours work per unit to build these, even with my templates and shortcuts. That's about 2 hours longer than I had planned!