Post by terryrocks on Feb 25, 2017 11:41:28 GMT -6
I've only had the thing for a day, but so far I'm impressed. Just having access to so many sounds with the responsiveness of a real amp is very exciting. The biggest issue seems to be managing the mountain of profiles available and finding the ones that work best for each project.
Download the file librarian, it'll help you manage your profiles. There's tons more available than the memory of the Kemper can handle.
I usually use only a handful of profiles. I wouldn't audition 500 amps for a given guitar part. I know I'm missing some gold by not auditioning all the profiles out there. But when you find sounds that work, well, make some music.
donr , is the kemper the kind of device where you can usually tweak a profile that gets you 90% of the way there the remaining 10%? or does it just not take kindly to tweaking profiles?
Chuck, you have a wide range of ways to modify profiles. Besides the obvious EQ and drive, you can dig down and tweak things like tube sag. You want to start with a profile you like to begin with, that's the idea of the Kemper. You won't make a bad profile sound great by tweaking it. The Kemper profiling only mimics what it's "listening" to, so the better the profiled amp/mic/pre sounds, the better the profile.
But I regularly tweak the EQ and drive for the guitars I'm using (which invariably are different than the one used to make the profile.) Amps are usually profiled at several gain levels, clean, crunch and lead, but you can 'clean up' a higher gain profile and it sounds useful, and you can add drive to an existing profile with good results.
You also can mix cabs from different amps if you want. There's lots of new profiles out there I haven't had the time to check yet.
Kemper is unique in what it does. It's not 'modeling.' It's like playing a recording of the original amp, but not a sample. It's just mimicing what the original amp did with the guitar input signal, and doing it to your guitar input signal.
Yeah, there's a parameter when you hold down the "Amplifier" button that is called "definition." To me, that's the biggest determiner of the overall sound of the profile. It can save "ok" profiles...It kind've defines the overall timbre of the instrument you're using. For instance, some of the profiles were done with humbuckers - maybe a darker sounding guitar like a Les Paul or something - so when you plug in a strat, it might be way too bright. Turn that definition knob down and it really tames it in a way that EQ doesn't.
The weird thing, though, is that I rarely do that with any of the Michael Britt profiles. You just plug in and they seem to work.
BTW, yes, Chuck, the boot time is about the only negative I can think of with the Kemper.
I'm new to guitar amp world but which version of the Kemper should I be looking at, the 600w or just the head? Do any of u actually use the Kemper to power something and what would the 600 watts be powering? A PA?